Ryan DeCarlo is a Creative Director and Designer.
A hands-on video production creative specializing in
video content from design through execution.
Demo Reel 2022 (the 10th reel) showcases Ry’s Creative Director and Designer credentials. On his first nine Demo Reels, Ryan DeCarlo established himself as a skilled motion graphic artist, who could hold his own in the freelance circuit, often hired alongside industry-leading creative directors, artists, and production studios. Rather than defend his experience editing a montage of corporate commercials, theatrical/broadcast work, and typical trends, he edits together a reel that echoes more as digital fine art—revealing a fragment of personal styles, imagination, and craftsmanship. That unknowingly has influenced other creative directors, artists, and studios. This new reel and website are teasers of what’s to come from this new Creative Director. Enjoy!
Linkedin: Click Here
My career began on the gritty streets of New York City. I freelanced for Showtime, VH1, Razorfish, The Mill, MPC, and Nice Shoes, to name a few. I then headed to sunny Los Angeles, designing the main titles for movie trailers, including Iron Man 2, Tron 2, Alice in Wonderland, and District 9 for Create (an entertainment marketing agency).
After gathering recognition, I headed home to New York—eventually becoming a creative director at Omnicom Media Group. Producing award-winning work and helping win multi-million-dollar contracts.
Following Omnicom, I took a five-month-long hiatus for health and wellness. During which I garnered knowledge in home improvement, machinery, and mercenary skillsets. In addition to Handyman's skillsets, I spent many days learning more software and hiking the Adirondacks.
I am a problem solver, director, and designer. I am a hands-on leader passionate about disrupting the status quo through visual design and technology and allowing the team to have fun! I also believe sociology is a significant tool for artists.
Software: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Cinema 4D, X-Particles, Redshift, Davinci Resolve, Tabletop Shooting, Greenscreen Shooting, and Interview Shooting. Unreal VR, Figma, and AdobeXD (Novice).
Roles include Creative Director, Art Director, Motion Designer, Editor, Compositor, 3D Artist, Concept Artist, and Style-frame Artist.
Agencies include Digitas, WPP, Razorfish, Omnicom Media Group, Hogarth, Rapp, and JWT. Networks include FX, BBC, VH1, Showtime, MTV, Starz, and CBS. Studios include MPC, The Mill, Imaginary Forces, Framestore, Los York, Stun, Unknown, We Are Royal, Media Monks, King and Country, the Famous Group, and Chapeau Studios to name a few.
Clients include Apple, Spotify, Riot Games, Facebook, Microsoft, Nike, PlayStation, NFL, MLB, Google, Super Bowl 50, Motorola, BMW, HP, AT&T, US Army, Bravo, FX, NBCUniversal, HBO, Netflix, Nissan, Instagram, Gerber, Mercedes, FORD, Subway, Pepsi, Grammys, Snapchat, O'real, Marc Ekco, Nautica, ESPN, CBRE, Poise, Calvin Klein, Osenboye, Juicy Couture, Hyundai, Almay, Hard Rock Cafe, Viagra, Nintendo, 711, The Simpsons, Art Directors Club, and 20+ Feature Film Trailers (Disney, Warner Brothers, Sony, and Columbia Pictures).
Creative Director / Art Director / Lead Creative
• Recent clients: Framestore: Meta, Framestore: Temu, Snapchat: World Cup, Snapchat: Red Bull, Dodge, Google, and Sesame Street at Chapeau Studios, U.S. Open at King and Country, Disney, Riot Games at WeAreRoyale, Food Network Chopped at Thornberg and Forester, and GoCart at Digitas/The Pub.
• Oversee all creative development for video with additional touch-points such as print, social media platforms, and events.
• Manage client relationships and schedules alongside producers or ECD's.
• Execute proposals, pitch concepts, and brand strategies.
• Work alongside the design team as art director/editor/motion designer/animator.
OMNICOM MEDIA GROUP
Creative Director of Motion, Animation and Editorial
• Led, mentored, and built an agile team of junior motion designers and editors.
• Create and implement a workflow management system for the video department.
• Work independently and collaboratively to manage multiple assignments, monitor deadlines, schedule, hire freelancers and assign work to specified team members.
• Collaborate with clients to develop videos for various platforms, including web, industry events, and social media platforms,
to support marketing and sales initiatives.
• Work alongside the team as director/art director/editor/motion designer/animator (IC)
Art Director / Senior Motion Graphic Artist / 3D Designer
New York / Los Angeles
• Execute 2D/3D design and animation of motion graphics for multiple theatrical and broadcast campaigns, including trailers, main title designs, graphics packages, and network branding initiatives. Networks include FX, BBC, VH1, Showtime, MTV, Starz, CBS, HBO, NBC, ESPN, and Netflix.
• Collaborate with clients to develop and animate creative concepts and layout solutions for various on-air or off-air programs and brands. Clients include Google, Apple, Nike, Motorola, Ford, NFL, Nautica, NCAA, Disney, and AT&T. Studios include MPC, The Mill, Imaginary Forces, Framestore, Los York, Buster, and Troika, to name a few. Agencies include JWT, WWP, Digitas, Hogarth, Razorfish, AQKA, RAPP, Radical Media, and Left Field Labs.
• Conceptualize and design animations and campaign assets for various platforms, including web, mobile, physical products, and all social media platforms, to support editorial, marketing, and sales initiatives.
• Work independently and collaboratively to manage multiple assignments, schedule, and assign work to specified team members. Lead, mentor,
and develop a team of junior designers.
• Directed my first short film called "Pegasus," which received "Best Experimental" at the Los Angeles Cinema Film Festival in 2017 and was
featured in VoyageLA magazine.
• Additional experience: Budgeting, scheduling, location scouting, permits, casting, tabletop photography, and directing.
Motion Graphic Artist / 3D Designer
• Helped execute the first-ever customizable mobile phone to hit the market with Motorola’s Motomaker.com; received industry recognition for Motorola with 1 One Show, 2 Webby, and 2 New York Design Awards.
• Developed and animated scenes for Nice Shoes’ 3D stereoscopic film “Found,” which helped launch “Versus” (a series of short films). Recognized in numerous festivals and magazines, including Dexigner, Source Creative, and Stash Magazine.
CREATE ADVERTISING GROUP
Motion Graphic Artist / 3D Designer
• Executed 2D/3D design and animation for theatrical campaigns, including trailers, teasers, and spots. Main title designs and
graphics for theatrical trailers include Iron Man 2, Tron 2, Alice in Wonderland, District 9, and more.
• Received industry recognition for District 9 with a Key Art and Golden Trailer award, Alice in Wonderland and Iron Man 2 with
Golden Trailer award nominations, and Tron 2 featured in Computer Art Magazine.
• Designed style frames and graphics for theatrical, television, and home video spots such as main titles, cards, end tags, and transitions.
• Film studios include Disney, Sony Pictures, Universal, and Columbia Pictures.
TCC Rebrand, Award of Distinction/Silver, Communicator Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand & OMG Holiday Video, 2 Silvers, MUSE Creative Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand, 1 Gold, Vega Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand & OMG Holiday Video, 2 Golds, NYX Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand, 1 Platinum, Viddy Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand, 1 Platinum, Hermes Creative Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand & OMG Holiday Video, 1 Platinum, 1 Gold, AVA Digital Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand & OMG Holiday Video, 1 Platinum, 2 Golds MarCom Awards, OMG, NY
TCC Rebrand & OMG Holiday Video, 2 Platinum, DotComm Awards, OMG, NY
Voyage LA Magazine, February Edition, Los Angeles
Became a Creative Director.
Pegasus (Short Film), Best Experimental, Los Angeles Cinema Film Festival, LA
Pegasus (Short Film), The Block Film Festival, Utah
HP, Best Branding B2B Campaign Finalist, Digiday, Rapp, NY
Best of ShowReels, Premium Beats, Canada
MotoMaker X, 2 Webby Awards, Digitas, NY
MotoMaker X, 1 One Show Award, Digitas, NY
MotoMaker X, 2 New York Design Awards, Digitas, NY
Timex (Ecko Unlimited and Nautica), Dexigner Recognition, NiceShoes, NY
Verses Short Films, Stash Magazine Recognition, NiceShoes, NY
Verses Short Films, SourceEcreative Recognition, NiceShoes, NY
Verses Short Films, Big Apple Film Festival, NiceShoes, NY
ShowReel 2011 (RYDE), MotionSickness Recognition, London
ShowReel 2011 (RYDE), Strictly ShowReels Recognition, Germany
ShowReel 2011 (RYDE), COMPUTER ART Magazine, December Edition, England
Iron Man 2, Golden Trailer Award Nominee, Create Advertising, LA
Alice in Wonderland, Golden Trailer Award Nominee, Create Advertising, LA
District 9, Key Art Award, Create Advertising, LA
District 9, Golden Trailer Award, Create Advertising, LA
Sketcher (Teaser), Best of Motion Graphics, Adobe Awards, NY
Best of 2008: Thesis, School of VISUAL ARTS, NY
Graduated from School of VISUAL ARTS, NY
Good Times (Short Film) supervised by Bob Giraldi, Art Directors Club Recognition, NY
Top 15 with Honors, School of Visual Arts, NY
Red Rock, 1st Place 3D Traditional/Sculpture, Alfred State College Gallery Art Committee, NY
Why Baseball, 2nd Place: Best Animation in Film/Video, Capital Region Media Arts Festival, NY
Why Baseball, 2nd Place: Best Sound in Film/Video, Capital Region Media Arts Festival, NY
Why Baseball, Honorable Mention in Film/Video, Capital Region Media Arts Festival, NY
Graduated from Schenectady High School, NY
NYSSSA, Awarded Residency, NY
Johnny’s Dream, 2nd Place: Best Sound in Film/Video, Capital Region Media Arts Festival, NY
Johnny’s Dream, 2nd Place: Best Overall in Film/Video, Capital Region Media Arts Festival, NY
Johnny’s Dream, 2nd Place: Best Animation in Film/Video, Capital Region Media Arts Festival, NY